After Lalu, Paswan also seeks Nitish resignation on stampede
Patna: Joining issue with RJD president Lalu Prasad, Lok Janshakti Party Tuesday blamed Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for death of 17 people in a stampede during Chhath festival and demanded his resignation over the tragedy.
LJP President Ramvilas Paswan told reporters here that his party national general secretary Satyanand Sharma, through a letter on November 14, had informed the chief minister that the make-shift bridge over river Ganga, which collapsed on November 19 leading to the ugly incident, was weak.
In the letter, the LJP leader had asked the CM to get the make-shift bamboo bridge replaced by a piped one, but the chief minister allegedly turned a blind eye towards the suggestion, Paswan said.
Making a scathing attack on Nitish Kumar, Paswan, who met families of some of the victims, said first he spent considerable time and used the administration for success of JD(U)`s `Adhikar rally` and later went to Pakistan showing least concern about arrangements for Chhath festival.
Paswan`s ally Lalu Prasad had yesterday sought resignation of Nitish Kumar on moral ground over the tragedy.
The LJP chief also demanded registration of case under IPC 302 (murder) against officials responsible for the construction of the makeshift Chhachri bridge that caved in at the ghat triggering the stampede.
He described the state government`s order for inquiry by Principal Secretary Home Amir Subhani as "an attempt to cover up the incident" and demanded a judicial probe.
The LJP president also highlighted the "inadequate" arrangements at Patna Medical College and Hospital to meet eventuality like this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY