After Nalanda, another university remains found in Bihar
Patna: Archaeologists have traced the remains of another university at Telhara, about 40 km from the ancient Nalanda University, a reference to which was found in the account of Chinese travellers Hiuen Tsang and Ithsing.
The remains of the university in Nalanda district were found during the course of an excavation at Telhara, Director state Archaeology Atul Kumar Verma told PTI.
The excavation, which began at Telhara in Ekangalsarai block of Nalanda in 2009, was still continuing.
Verma said there was a reference to the Telhara university in the travel account of Ithsing, who had visited Nalanda, a distinguished centre of learning in Bihar, in the 7th century AD.
The account suggested that Telhara was either a seat of higher research or a competitor to Nalanda university, he said.
Verma, who is also Director of the excavation at the site, said there was an account of three Buddhist temples at Telhara in Ithsing`s account which were found during the excavation.
Besides, the account mentioned a big platform on which around 1000 Buddhist monks used to sit for prayer, he said.
A similar platform has been located during the excavation, he said.
Verma said evidences of both Gupta and Pala period structures, like the one mentioned by Chinese traveller Hiuen Tsang, have also been unearthed at Telhara.
Seals written with "Teladhak Mahavihara" which was also authenticated by the Archaeologist Alexander Cunningham in his report have been found, he said.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who hails from Nalanda district, has visited the site several times to keep himself abreast about the progress of the excavation.
He announced that relics from the site would be housed in the proposed International Museum coming up in Patna.
Noble laureate Amartya Sen made a trip to the site last week on request of the Chief Minister to have a first hand view of the excavations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- AR Rahman's romantic ballads steal Delhi hearts