All about Brahmeshwar Singh ‘Mukhiya ji’
New Delhi: Brahmeshwar Singh alias ‘Mukhiya ji’ was the head of an upper caste militia, known as the Ranvir Sena.
Singh was on a morning walk when he was accosted by gunmen who pumped several bullets into him, killing him on the spot at Katira Mohalla under Nawada police station, 71 kms from Patna.
Brahmeshwar Singh was arrested in Patna on August 29, 2002 on several accounts of murder. Singh, who was earlier facing life imprisonment in various carnage cases, was acquitted and released from jail in April this year.
Ranvir Sena was founded in September 1994 in Belaur village of Udwantnagar block by Brahmeshwar Singh of Khopira. The core group of membership of the Ranvir Sena is composed of Brahman Bhumihars.
Ranvir Sena had influence in areas like Jahanabad, Patna, Rohtas, Aurangabad, Gaya, Bhabhua and Buxar districts.
Singh was allegedly responsible for perpetrating several killings including Laxmanpur Bathe massacre of 61 Dalits way back in December 1996.
Ranvir Sena is alleged to have carried out numerous mass killings of low caste villagers. The right-wing upper-caste landlord militia group has been accused of carrying out atrocities against Dalits and Maoists as well their sympathisers.
Ranvir Sena was banned by the Bihar government in July 1995.
Atrocities of Ranvir Sena
The dreaded group justified the killing of women and children saying, "We kill children because they will grow up to become Naxalites. We kill women because they will give birth to Naxalites."
In 1999, the gang killed 22 Dalits. The group followed it with spate of killings in village of Narayanpur, where the Ranvir Sena killed 12 lower-caste people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!