Amit Shah selection natural on the new path BJP has chosen: Nitish Kumar
Patna: Senior JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar today said appointment of Amit Shah as president of the BJP was natural as it suited the new path the party had chosen to tread in future.
"The path on which BJP has chosen to travel, it is natural to appoint a person like Amit Shah as president of the party," Kumar told reporters emerging from Legislative Council.
Describing the appointment as an internal matter of that party, Kumar said he and his party does not intend to interfere in the activities of another party.
Kumar was asked to comment on appointment of Shah, an accused in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, as BJP president.
Kumar, former chief minister of Bihar and the driving force behind the JD(U), erstwhile partner of the BJP in NDA, had on June 16 led his party to sever 17-year old ties with the saffron party over elevation of Narendra Modi in the ranks.
Meanwhile, state BJP leaders expressed joy over appointment of Amit Shah as new party chief. Party workers burst crackers and distributed sweets to celebrate the occasion.
Leader of Opposition in Bihar Assembly Nand Kishore Yadav hailed the appointment of Shah. "He has extraordinary organisational capacity. Due to this quality BJP won 71 out of 80 seats in Uttar Pradesh," Yadav said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS