Araria firing: 2 SSB personnel suspended, 5 arrested
Patna: Two Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) men
were on Tuesday suspended and five others arrested in connection
with yesterday`s firing by security personnel in which four
villagers were killed in Bihar`s Araria district.
DIG (SSB), Purnia, J P Singh said SSB sub-inspector Ram
Chandra Das and constable Chandan Kumar were put under
Police have already arrested five SSB personnel in this
Meanwhile, an FIR has been lodged against seven security
personnel allegedly involved in the firing, Deputy Inspector
General of Police (Purnia range) Amit Kumar said.
Four villagers were killed and five others injured when
SSB personnel opened fire on a mob which attacked them in the
Trouble began when villagers from Batraha under
Kursakant police station went to the SSB`s outpost and
complained to authorities that some of its personnel had
misbehaved with a local woman on Sunday night.
As SSB men refused to acknowledge the charge, the mob
started throwing stones at the border outpost prompting the
SSB men to use batons to control the situation. The personnel
then opened fire, killing four villagers on the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal