Armed men loot train passengers in Bihar
Patna/Lucknow: Unidentified armed robbers struck the Azeemabad Express and looted passengers after assaulting them while the train was travelling between Bihar and Uttar Pradesh early Saturday, officials said.
A case was later registered at a government railway police (GRP) station in Mugalsarai in Uttar Pradesh, where the train arrived Saturday morning.
The robbers looted the passengers at around 3 am at Buxar railway station in Bihar and managed to escape after pulling the train`s emergency chain, officials at the Mugalsarai GRP station said.
"We have registered a case against 10-12 unidentified men. Some of them even had guns," GRP inspector Tripurari Pandey told reporters in Mugalsarai of Chanduali district, some 350 km from Lucknow.
"According to the passengers, the robbers primarily targeted two sleeper coaches of the train. We are yet to ascertain the exact amount of cash and other valuables looted," he added.
According to preliminary investigations, the robbers entered the train in Chausa in Bihar.
"Though the robbers assaulted a number of passengers, mostly those who refused to hand over their money and valuables, none of them received any serious injury," Pandey said.
The train was heading to Ahmedabad from Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!