Armed men loot train passengers in Bihar
Patna/Lucknow: Unidentified armed robbers struck the Azeemabad Express and looted passengers after assaulting them while the train was travelling between Bihar and Uttar Pradesh early Saturday, officials said.
A case was later registered at a government railway police (GRP) station in Mugalsarai in Uttar Pradesh, where the train arrived Saturday morning.
The robbers looted the passengers at around 3 am at Buxar railway station in Bihar and managed to escape after pulling the train`s emergency chain, officials at the Mugalsarai GRP station said.
"We have registered a case against 10-12 unidentified men. Some of them even had guns," GRP inspector Tripurari Pandey told reporters in Mugalsarai of Chanduali district, some 350 km from Lucknow.
"According to the passengers, the robbers primarily targeted two sleeper coaches of the train. We are yet to ascertain the exact amount of cash and other valuables looted," he added.
According to preliminary investigations, the robbers entered the train in Chausa in Bihar.
"Though the robbers assaulted a number of passengers, mostly those who refused to hand over their money and valuables, none of them received any serious injury," Pandey said.
The train was heading to Ahmedabad from Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre