Army called in to save submerged parts of Patna
Patna: The Bihar government has sought help from the Army to make a bridge to help people as various parts of Patna remained submerged in rain and drain water for the eighth consecutive day on Wednesday.
"Army has been called in to make an alternative bridge on a drain in Rajendra Nagar. The old bridge is hampering the outflow of accumulated water. It will be demolished and a new one will be constructed in its place in November-December this year," Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi said.
Vast residential areas in Patna including Rajendra Nagar, Kankarbagh, Patliputra Colony and Kadam Kuan are under two to three feet of water, affecting a majority of the 20 lakh population of the city.
Manjhi slammed Patna Municipal Corporation (PMC) for the severe water-logging in the state capital since August 13 saying it failed to drain out the water.
The PMC could not even spend the Rs 27 crore provided recently by the government to buy equipment to clear water-logging, the chief minister said.
Manjhi said no work was being done in the PMC due to infighting between the mayor and the municipal commissioner and the people were suffering.
Manjhi also asked Chief Secretary Anjani Kumar Singh to look out for an alternative way to bypass the quarrelling Mayor and Commissioner so that the people did not suffer.
Summoned by Patna High Court in a suo motu case, the chief secretary appeared before a division bench of Justices VN Sinha and PK Jha today and assured the judges that water-logging would be cleared in the next 48 hours, provided there was no further rainfall.
The district administration and the Urban Development Department have sought help of the Disaster Management Department (DMD) to help tide over the crisis that happened after heavy rainfall in Patna between August 12 and 16.
DMD Principal Secretary Vyasji said the Army Engineering Corps (AEC) would reach Patna today and would get into action immediately.
"The small bridge near the sump house in Rajendra Nagar locality is obstructing the outflow of drain water. The AEC will demolish it and construct a temporary one for the people of the area so that their movement is not affected," Vyasji said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow