Arson, violence by teachers during Nitish meetings
Khagaria: Large scale violence and arson by contractual teachers and protesters marred Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s public meetings in Bihar`s Khagaria and Begusarai districts held on Thursday to mobilise mass support for grant of special status to the state.
Official sources said the protesters, most of them contractual teachers, set on fire three motorcycles and a jeep belonging to the police near Khagaria district collectorate when they were prevented from entering the venue of the chief minister`s public meeting.
The agitators also set ablaze eight to ten hoardings and pelted stones on vehicles of several civil and police officials damaging their window panes.
A mob later stormed into the office of the district magistrate Dharmendra Singh and ransacked furniture and other equipment at the collectorate, the sources said.
As a result of the violence, Kumar`s public meeting scheduled for 3 pm could not start till 5 pm as Director General of Police (DGP) Abhayanand tried his best to bring the law and order situation under control but failed to rein in the protesters.
The police trying to disperse the protestors burst teargas shells and fired several rounds in the air. They also lathicharged some protesters who pelted stones on the police.
There was, however, no report of casualty or injury to anyone in the violence by the protesters and subsequent police action.
Kumar finally addressed the meeting at around 5.30 pm where he asserted he would ensure Bihar got special status for development of the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?