ASI to start excavation for stupas in Bhagalpur
Patna: The Archeology Survey of India (ASI) will soon start excavations to find Buddhist stupas of Pala dynasty believed to be existing near the ruins of the ancient Vikrashila university in Bihar`s Bhagalpur district, an ASI official said today.
"We have asked the administration to send a photograph and details of the site after which a team will be send there for excavation," Director of ASI (Bihar) Atul Verma said here.
Verma said the decision had been taken after he had received a call from Bhagalpur district magistrate office about possible existence of the stupas.
The possibility of existence of the stupas came to light when a farmer of Paharia tola, about one km away from the ruins of Vikramshila university, felt some hard substance under the soil where he was working yesterday.
On seeing through a hole with the help of a torch he saw some hard structures. Soon more villagers joined him and they informed the nearby ASI office.
On reaching the spot, ASI officials confirmed possibility of existence of stupas inside. Soon, the area was barricaded with the help of the district administration.
Anurag Kumar, in-charge of ASI Vikramshila Museum, expressed possibility of existence of nine stupas of the Pala period there.
Located 44 km east of Bhagalpur, the university of Vikramsila, ranks next to Nalanda, was established by King Dharampal of Bengal (783-820) at the end of the 8th century.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi