ASI to start excavation for stupas in Bhagalpur
Patna: The Archeology Survey of India (ASI) will soon start excavations to find Buddhist stupas of Pala dynasty believed to be existing near the ruins of the ancient Vikrashila university in Bihar`s Bhagalpur district, an ASI official said today.
"We have asked the administration to send a photograph and details of the site after which a team will be send there for excavation," Director of ASI (Bihar) Atul Verma said here.
Verma said the decision had been taken after he had received a call from Bhagalpur district magistrate office about possible existence of the stupas.
The possibility of existence of the stupas came to light when a farmer of Paharia tola, about one km away from the ruins of Vikramshila university, felt some hard substance under the soil where he was working yesterday.
On seeing through a hole with the help of a torch he saw some hard structures. Soon more villagers joined him and they informed the nearby ASI office.
On reaching the spot, ASI officials confirmed possibility of existence of stupas inside. Soon, the area was barricaded with the help of the district administration.
Anurag Kumar, in-charge of ASI Vikramshila Museum, expressed possibility of existence of nine stupas of the Pala period there.
Located 44 km east of Bhagalpur, the university of Vikramsila, ranks next to Nalanda, was established by King Dharampal of Bengal (783-820) at the end of the 8th century.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31