Back Feb 28 stir and get support for Mar 2 bandh, BJP to Nitish
Patna: With JD(U) and BJP launching separate agitations to protest the Centre`s denial of special category status to Bihar like Seemandhra, BJP on Saturday said if Chief Minister Nitish Kumar supported its `rail roko` stir on February 28, it would also join his March 2 statewide bandh.
"The issue is the same. So if the CM and his party JD(U) supports BJP`s `Rail roko` on February 28, the party will also join his March 2 Bihar bandh to protest against the Centre`s discriminatory approach on special category status," senior BJP leader Sushil Modi said here.
The former deputy chief minister alleged that Kumar`s decision to defer the bandh call by a day to March 2 seemed to be aimed at "disturbing" Narendra Modi`s rally at Muzaffarpur on March 3 by disrupting road and rail traffic.
Kumar had at first called the bandh on March one but later decided to defer it by a day to March two considering the examinations in the state on the first day.
He also took a dig at Kumar for calling a bandh on a Sunday. "Major markets across the state remain close on Sunday. This will help Kumar claim success of the bandh."
Modi said his party has trashes the report of Raghuram Rajan committee defining afresh backwardness of states.
"Raghuram Rajan panel report has put Bihar in the crowd of 10 least developed states which leaves little scope for grant of special category status," Sushil Modi said.
"Bihar should have been placed in a separate category of disadvantageous states with one or two other states sharing similar backwardness," he said.
He criticised the CM for welcoming the report of Raghuram Rajan committee when his own representative in the panel Saibal Gupta had given a 10-page note of dissent protesting parametres adopted.
Moreover, the announcement of special category status for Seemandhra made it clear that "constitution of committee or its report is not required for getting special category status which in fact is decided on political considerations," Modi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray