Bandh hits life in Bihar; 3,500 protesters held
Patna: Normal life was thrown out of gear
today in Bihar due to the nation-wide strike called by NDA and
Left parties to protest the fuel price hike, while 3,500
supporters including senior leaders were taken into preventive
Private buses and those of the Bihar State Transport
Corporation were off the roads and all schools, colleges and
educational institutions were closed, while shops and major
business establishments too did to function, police said.
Bandh supporters targeted railway services and cut the
hose pipes of some trains and squatted on the railway tracks.
The strike call also evoked good response from
Muzaffarpur, Gaya, Biharsharif, Bhagalpur, Begusarai,
Motihari, Bettia, Siwan, Gopalganj, Chapra, Darbhanga,
Saharsa, Khagaria and Katihar.
Some BJP leaders, including state cooperatives minister
Giriraj Singh and Harendra Pratap Singh, who were returning to
Patna from Delhi by the Shramjivi Express, faced the brunt of
the bandh as the train was held up for over three hours at
Bihta, railway officials said.
Several long distance and passenger trains, including
New Delhi-Muzaffarpur Sampark Kranti Express were detained at
different stations, East Central Railway (ECR) Chief Public
Relations Officer, Dilip Kumar said.
Among the protesters and bandh supporters taken into
preventive custody included BJP General Secretary Ravishankar
Prasad, Vice-President, Kiran Ghai, state party chief Dr C P
Thakur, besides JD(U)`s state president Vijay Kumar Chowdhary,
its national spokesperson Shivanand Tiwari and Rajya Sabha
member Upendra Kushwaha, official sources said.
NDA legislators, including Shivaji Rai, Bilat Paswan,
besides, Rajya Sabha member Anil Sahni and MLA Bilat Paswan
were also taken into preventive custody while trying to
enforce the shutdown at different places in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?