Bandh hits life in Bihar; 3,500 protesters held
Patna: Normal life was thrown out of gear
today in Bihar due to the nation-wide strike called by NDA and
Left parties to protest the fuel price hike, while 3,500
supporters including senior leaders were taken into preventive
Private buses and those of the Bihar State Transport
Corporation were off the roads and all schools, colleges and
educational institutions were closed, while shops and major
business establishments too did to function, police said.
Bandh supporters targeted railway services and cut the
hose pipes of some trains and squatted on the railway tracks.
The strike call also evoked good response from
Muzaffarpur, Gaya, Biharsharif, Bhagalpur, Begusarai,
Motihari, Bettia, Siwan, Gopalganj, Chapra, Darbhanga,
Saharsa, Khagaria and Katihar.
Some BJP leaders, including state cooperatives minister
Giriraj Singh and Harendra Pratap Singh, who were returning to
Patna from Delhi by the Shramjivi Express, faced the brunt of
the bandh as the train was held up for over three hours at
Bihta, railway officials said.
Several long distance and passenger trains, including
New Delhi-Muzaffarpur Sampark Kranti Express were detained at
different stations, East Central Railway (ECR) Chief Public
Relations Officer, Dilip Kumar said.
Among the protesters and bandh supporters taken into
preventive custody included BJP General Secretary Ravishankar
Prasad, Vice-President, Kiran Ghai, state party chief Dr C P
Thakur, besides JD(U)`s state president Vijay Kumar Chowdhary,
its national spokesperson Shivanand Tiwari and Rajya Sabha
member Upendra Kushwaha, official sources said.
NDA legislators, including Shivaji Rai, Bilat Paswan,
besides, Rajya Sabha member Anil Sahni and MLA Bilat Paswan
were also taken into preventive custody while trying to
enforce the shutdown at different places in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended