Bandh paralyses normal life in Bihar, 5000 protesters detained
Patna: The `Bharat Bandh` called by BJP and other parties to protest diesel price hike, FDI in multi brand retail and cap in subsidised LPG cylinders on Thursday evoked sharp response in Bihar as train and vehicular traffic remained paralysed for better part of the day.
Train services in particular bore brunt of stir as about 77 trains were stopped by the bandh supporters at various places in Bihar, including Patna, a railway official said.
The Rajdhani Express and some other long distance trains were halted by the protesters at Patna Junction and elsewhere in the state, he said.
Bandh supporters also disrupted vehicular traffic on the roads and highways to bring normal life to grinding halt.
The protesters also forced closure of market places at some places. Schools and colleges too remained closed due to shortage of vehicles on the road.
Judicial works in various courts too were adversely affected by the bandh as the lawyers and employees could not reach their work places due to paucity of vehicles.
In Patna, senior BJP leader Ravishankar Prasad led bicycle march by his party leaders and workers to protest the UPA government`s economic policies and later courted arrested near the busy Dak Bungalow roundabout.
In all about 5000 protesters from 26 districts were taken into preventive custody across the state, ADGP (Law and Order) SK Bharadwaj said.
There was no report of any untoward incident from anywhere in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone