Bandh paralyses normal life in Bihar, 5000 protesters detained
Patna: The `Bharat Bandh` called by BJP and other parties to protest diesel price hike, FDI in multi brand retail and cap in subsidised LPG cylinders on Thursday evoked sharp response in Bihar as train and vehicular traffic remained paralysed for better part of the day.
Train services in particular bore brunt of stir as about 77 trains were stopped by the bandh supporters at various places in Bihar, including Patna, a railway official said.
The Rajdhani Express and some other long distance trains were halted by the protesters at Patna Junction and elsewhere in the state, he said.
Bandh supporters also disrupted vehicular traffic on the roads and highways to bring normal life to grinding halt.
The protesters also forced closure of market places at some places. Schools and colleges too remained closed due to shortage of vehicles on the road.
Judicial works in various courts too were adversely affected by the bandh as the lawyers and employees could not reach their work places due to paucity of vehicles.
In Patna, senior BJP leader Ravishankar Prasad led bicycle march by his party leaders and workers to protest the UPA government`s economic policies and later courted arrested near the busy Dak Bungalow roundabout.
In all about 5000 protesters from 26 districts were taken into preventive custody across the state, ADGP (Law and Order) SK Bharadwaj said.
There was no report of any untoward incident from anywhere in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in