Bank account of India`s first president still active
Patna: A public sector bank in the Bihar capital has kept active for nearly 50 years a savings account of India`s first president Rajendra Prasad, an official said Wednesday.
Prasad opened his account in Punjab National Bank`s Exhibition Road branch Oct 24, 1962, a few months before he passed away, said the official.
"The bank has given Rajendra Prasad`s savings account prime customer status. It is a matter of pride for us," the bank`s chief manager SL Gupta told a news agency.
The balance including interest in account stood at Rs 1,813, Gupta said, adding that till date, no one had come forward to withdraw the money.
"Every six months, an interest is deposited into the account," he said.
The branch has also put on public display of Prasad`s account number -- 0380000100030687 -- below his photograph.
Prasad was born Dec 3, 1884, in Zeradei in Bihar`s Siwan district and died Feb 28, 1963, in Patna. He was India`s first president from 1952 to 1962.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch