Bardhan hints at Third Front in Bihar
Patna: CPI General Secretary AB Bardhan on Friday hinted at the possibility of emergence of a Third Front for Bihar Assembly polls to be held towards the end of the year.
"Being a political party we have to face elections. At present, we have three alternatives -- to go all alone, to go along with other left parties or to go with other parties together with left allies," Bardhan, who was here to take part in CPI state council, told reporters.
"We will be sitting again towards the end of March or early April and discuss on the issue of nature of alliances for the Assembly polls... Emergence of a Third Front before Assembly polls can`t be ruled out at this stage," he said.
However, he added that CPI`s support to yesterday`s bandh called by RJD and its ally LJP in Bihar should not be seen as the party`s inclination to forge a front with them.
"We have been agitating on the issue of price rise, food security, besides universalisation of the Public Distribution System for a long period. We lent support (to the bandh call) after Lalu Prasad and Ramvilas Paswan sought our support for the agitation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!