Beur cruelties: SHRC takes cognizance of complaint
Patna: Human Rights Commission in Bihar on Tuesday
took cognizance of a complaint filed by state unit of Youth
Congress seeking an inquiry into alleged brutalities on
inmates by Beur Jail authorities.
State Human Rights Commission Chairman Justice (retired) S
N Jha asked the IG (Prison) to look into the allegations and
submit a report to the commission within two weeks.
"The allegations are serious and warrant appropriate
enquiry at the level of IG Prisons," he said and noted that
"Of late, the Beur Jail has been in the news for wrong
reasons. Therefore it is imperative that there should be a
fair and independent inquiry so that the people`s faith in the
administration is not shaken."
Youth Congress chief Kumar, office-bearer Mihir
Kumar Jha and party MLA Mohd Afaque Alam had submitted
separate petitions to Jha and claimed that the situation
inside the prison had become "volatile."
Kumar said about 20 prisoners had launched a fast inside
the high-security prison here seeking removal of the jail
superintendent and his deputy.
"The prisoners were on fast as the two officials roughed
up various inmates ...They have been assaulting them on petty
issues and hurling choicest invectives," Kumar alleged.
He also sought removal of the two officials -
Superintendent S Priyadarshi and his deputy A Singh.
There were incidents of rampant corruption in the jail
where several hardcore Maoists were lodged, Alam alleged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know