Beur cruelties: SHRC takes cognizance of complaint
Patna: Human Rights Commission in Bihar on Tuesday
took cognizance of a complaint filed by state unit of Youth
Congress seeking an inquiry into alleged brutalities on
inmates by Beur Jail authorities.
State Human Rights Commission Chairman Justice (retired) S
N Jha asked the IG (Prison) to look into the allegations and
submit a report to the commission within two weeks.
"The allegations are serious and warrant appropriate
enquiry at the level of IG Prisons," he said and noted that
"Of late, the Beur Jail has been in the news for wrong
reasons. Therefore it is imperative that there should be a
fair and independent inquiry so that the people`s faith in the
administration is not shaken."
Youth Congress chief Kumar, office-bearer Mihir
Kumar Jha and party MLA Mohd Afaque Alam had submitted
separate petitions to Jha and claimed that the situation
inside the prison had become "volatile."
Kumar said about 20 prisoners had launched a fast inside
the high-security prison here seeking removal of the jail
superintendent and his deputy.
"The prisoners were on fast as the two officials roughed
up various inmates ...They have been assaulting them on petty
issues and hurling choicest invectives," Kumar alleged.
He also sought removal of the two officials -
Superintendent S Priyadarshi and his deputy A Singh.
There were incidents of rampant corruption in the jail
where several hardcore Maoists were lodged, Alam alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'