Bhagalpur riot accused gets lifer
Bhagalpur (Bihar): A court here on Monday awarded
a life term to Kameshwar Yadav, a prime accused in the
Bhagalpur riots of 1989.
Additional District and Sessions Judge Arvind Madhav
found Yadav guilty of firing and throwing bombs at 15 year-old
Mohammad Qayyum at Assananpur in Bhagalpur on October 24, 1989
that claimed his life.
The judge held Yadav guilty under various sections of the
Indian Penal Code besides Arms Act and sentenced him to life
Quayum`s father, Mohammad Naseeruddin, in an FIR lodged
with the police on October 24, 1989 had stated that he had
seen Yadav and other rioters gunning down his son, who was
running for safety.
The case had been closed earlier as the police had
submitted a final report citing insufficient evidence for
continuing the investigation.
The situation in communally sensitive Tatarpur area of
Bhagalpur turned tense as members of the two communities
clashed after the judgement was delivered.
The situation in the locality is tense but under control,
a senior police official said, adding security arrangements
have been beefed up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?