Bharat Bandh: Sharad, Shahnawaz detained in Bihar
Patna: NDA Convenor and JD-U national president Sharad Yadav and BJP leader Shahnawaz Hussain were among 800 activists taken into custody while enforcing the NDA sponsored "Bharat bandh" in Bihar to protest the petrol price hike.
Yadav along with 700 odd supporters took out processions in Saharsa town to enforce the call. Yadav along with NDA supporters were soon taken into custody in Sahars sadar police station, sources said.
Hussain, the BJP National Spokesman, and others were detained in Bhagalpur town while trying to enforce the bandh, they said.
Talking to reporters, Yadav demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh resign immediately for "failure" of his government to control the spiralling prices of petroleum products and essential commodities.
Yadav claimed the bandh was total.
Ruling JD-U and BJP leaders also took out processions in the state capital to enforce the call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble