BHRC asks Bihar DGP to expedite witchcraft cases
Patna: The Bihar Human Rights Commission
(BHRC) has taken serious note of women being killed or
subjected to harassment and torture on false charges of
practising witchcraft and asked the Director General of Police
to expedite such pending cases soon.
BHRC member justice (retired) Rajendra Prasad in his
order observed that such cases are "worst types of violation
of human rights of women".
The DGP should instruct the SPs of all the districts to
expedite investigation/trial of pending cases relating to
offences under Prevention of Witch (Daain) Hunting Act 1999
and further submit district-wise list of such cases pending in
districts to enable the Commission to decide further course of
action in the interest of protection of the worst type of
violation of human rights of women within three months, he
The Commission had taken cognisance of a report submitted
by an NGO (Bihar Women`s Network) and decided to issue the
He further said there was a necessity of spreading human
rights literacy among various sections of society and promote
awareness of the safeguards available for the protection of
these rights through publications and encourage the efforts of
NGOs and institutions working in the field of human rights.
The Bihar Women`s Network with its base in Bihar,
Jharkhand, Odisha , Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh pointed out
that there 177 pending cases under the Prevention of Witch
Hunting Act 1999 in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch