BHRC for compensation for custodial death
Patna: Bihar Human Rights Commission has
ordered the state government to pay a compensation of Rs two
lakh in a case of custodial death at the Ara divisional jail
in Bhojpur district.
Maruti Chaudhary, a resident of Belaur village in Ara was
caught travelling without ticket at Ara railway station in
Since he failed to pay the ticket fare of Rs 56 for
journey between Mughalsarai and Ara, he was slapped a penalty
totalling Rs 1,106. As Chaudhary did not pay up the penalty
the same day, he was sent to the jail for imprisonment up to
According to petition filed by Choudhary`s wife Shobha
Chaudhary, her husband was allegedly beaten by some guards and
some prisoners, leading to his death at Sadar hospital in Ara
on June 9, 2010.
Confirming his order, BHRC chairperson justice (Retd) S
N Jha said the commission after findings of the Sub-Divisional
Officer (Ara) during the inquest and team of the doctors
during the postmortem ordered the state government to pay Rs
two lakh as compensation to Choudhary`s wife.
The commission has left it to the state government to
recover the amount from the salary of the guilty officials
with the directive to file the compliance report within six
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot