BHU keen to open branch in Bihar
Patna: After Aligarh Muslim University, now Banaras Hindu University is keen to open a centre in Bihar, officials said Saturday.
Two days after Congress president Sonia Gandhi laid the foundation stone of an off-campus branch of the AMU in the state`s Kishanganj district, BHU has shown its willingness to set up a branch in Bihar.
"I am keen to open a branch (of BHU) in Bihar. It is up to the Bihar government to provide us land (for it) as soon as possible," BHU vice chancellor Lalji Singh told IANS over the phone.
Singh said that he would speed up the process if the Bihar government sends approval for the land.
"I will talk to officials of the union human resource development ministry next month in this connection," he said, adding the university`s branch in Bihar would facilitate students of the state.
BJP legislator Awnish Kumar Singh had proposed the BHU branch in the state`s Motihari district in 2012. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had said that the state government would take steps in this direction if BHU initiates the process.
"I will again raise this issue in the next session of the (state) assembly," Awnish Kumar told a news agency here.
Bihar Education Minister P.K. Shahi said the BHU should send a proposal to the state government to open its branch.
"We will be happy if BHU open its branch in Bihar and will provide all possible help for it," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16