Bihar: 11 killed, over 25 missing as boat capsizes
Patna: At least 11 people, mostly children and women, drowned and over 25 people were missing after an overcrowded boat capsized in the Sone river in Bihar`s Bhojpur district early Monday, police said.
The ferry, which could seat only 14 but was carrying over 40 people, capsized near Bhojpur district`s Khair village, about 70 km from here.
Nearly half a dozen people managed to swim to safety. Some were rescued by local villagers, Bhojpur Superintendent of Police SR Nayak said.
Nayak said that the death toll may rise as the National Disaster Relief Team (NDRF) divers are deployed for rescue and search operations, Naik said.
A district administration official said eleven bodies had been recovered, and that the search operation would continue. "Still, more than two dozen people are missing," official said.
The boat was ferrying people who were returning from a village fair in neighbouring Arwal district.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has announced ex-gratia of Rs two lakh to the kin of those dead in the incident comprising Rs.1.50 lakh each from the disaster relief fund and Rs 50,000 each from the Chief Minister`s Relief fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- People forget celebrities are also human beings: Jacqueline Fernandez
- Bitter boxer Manoj Kumar appeals for PM's intervention to clear Indian boxing mess
- Finance Ministry recommends CBI probe into 80 kg of missing gold from IGI Airport
- Hotel rooms are so mainstream! Rent a vacation home this time
- Sporting Lisbon's Joao Mario completes record EUR 45-million move to Inter Milan