Bihar: 12 pilgrims injured in temple stampede
Jehanabad: Over ten pilgrims were on Monday injured in a stampede at the Baba Sidhnath temple in Jehanabad district of Bihar, the police said here.
The stampede occurred this morning when the railing of the pathway leading towards the temple collapsed as large number of pilgrims pushed each other to make it to the shrine to offer `jalabhishek` to Lord Shiva on the occasion of third Monday of the holy Shrawan month, the police said, injuring 12 pilgrims in the incident.
While nine of the injured pilgrims were admitted to the Primary Health Centre (PHC) and discharged after first-aid, three others were taken to the referral hospital at Makhdumpur block, Sadar hospital deputy superintendent Dr K K Rai said.
District Magistrate Md Sohail and Superintendent of Police Shayali Dhurat rushed to the spot to investigate the incident.
They also met the injured pilgrims to inquire about their condition.
Nearly one lakh pilgrims from adjoining areas visit the Sidhnath temple located on Vanavar hills during Sharawan month to offer `jalabhishek` to Lord Shiva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway