Bihar: 16 including 12 policemen injured in clash and firing
Gaya: At least 16 people, including a dozen cops, were injured on Thursday when CPI(M-L) Liberation and All India Progressive Women`s Association (AIPWA) activists clashed with policemen who opened fire near a police station in Bihar`s Gaya district.
Paraiyya police station SHO Hari Ojha had earlier said a protester identified as Durgi Manjhi was killed in the police firing but Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Vinay Kumar later said the victim was critically injured and admitted to a hospital.
The protesters gathered near Paraiyya police station demanding the arrest of the culprits in the gangrape of a girl and pelted stones on the police station and damaged the vehicles of the SSP and the DSP (Hq) prompting the cops to lathicharge the protesters, Kumar said.
As the situation threatened to get out of control amid heavy stone-pelting by protesters, the policemen opened fire in which four persons Durgi Manjhi, Tesar Manjhi, Dinesh Manjhi and Sunil alias Ball Paswan sustained injuries, the SSP said.
The police arrested 25 protesters, the SSP said adding additional policemen with anti-riot vehicles were deployed there as precautionary measures.
The SSP said the violence by the protesters appeared to be pre-planned and the hands of the Naxalites could not be ruled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe