Bihar: 16 including 12 policemen injured in clash and firing
Gaya: At least 16 people, including a dozen cops, were injured on Thursday when CPI(M-L) Liberation and All India Progressive Women`s Association (AIPWA) activists clashed with policemen who opened fire near a police station in Bihar`s Gaya district.
Paraiyya police station SHO Hari Ojha had earlier said a protester identified as Durgi Manjhi was killed in the police firing but Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Vinay Kumar later said the victim was critically injured and admitted to a hospital.
The protesters gathered near Paraiyya police station demanding the arrest of the culprits in the gangrape of a girl and pelted stones on the police station and damaged the vehicles of the SSP and the DSP (Hq) prompting the cops to lathicharge the protesters, Kumar said.
As the situation threatened to get out of control amid heavy stone-pelting by protesters, the policemen opened fire in which four persons Durgi Manjhi, Tesar Manjhi, Dinesh Manjhi and Sunil alias Ball Paswan sustained injuries, the SSP said.
The police arrested 25 protesters, the SSP said adding additional policemen with anti-riot vehicles were deployed there as precautionary measures.
The SSP said the violence by the protesters appeared to be pre-planned and the hands of the Naxalites could not be ruled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert