Bihar: 16 including 12 policemen injured in clash and firing
Gaya: At least 16 people, including a dozen cops, were injured on Thursday when CPI(M-L) Liberation and All India Progressive Women`s Association (AIPWA) activists clashed with policemen who opened fire near a police station in Bihar`s Gaya district.
Paraiyya police station SHO Hari Ojha had earlier said a protester identified as Durgi Manjhi was killed in the police firing but Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Vinay Kumar later said the victim was critically injured and admitted to a hospital.
The protesters gathered near Paraiyya police station demanding the arrest of the culprits in the gangrape of a girl and pelted stones on the police station and damaged the vehicles of the SSP and the DSP (Hq) prompting the cops to lathicharge the protesters, Kumar said.
As the situation threatened to get out of control amid heavy stone-pelting by protesters, the policemen opened fire in which four persons Durgi Manjhi, Tesar Manjhi, Dinesh Manjhi and Sunil alias Ball Paswan sustained injuries, the SSP said.
The police arrested 25 protesters, the SSP said adding additional policemen with anti-riot vehicles were deployed there as precautionary measures.
The SSP said the violence by the protesters appeared to be pre-planned and the hands of the Naxalites could not be ruled out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack