Bihar: 19 oil tankers of goods train catch fire
Kishanganj: One person was killed as at
least 19 oil tankers of a goods train caught fire while two
others derailed at Chanmana village between Aluabari and
Mangurjaan railway stations in Bihar`s Kishanganj district
ADG (Railways) SK Bhardwaj said the goods train was on
its way to Tatanagar in Jharkhand from Rangapara in Assam when
the oil tankers derailed and caught fire at Chamanna on the
New Jalpaiguri-Katihar section of Northeast Frontier Railway.
One of the burning oil tankers trailed from the track and
fell on a villager working in the fields nearby, who was
charred to death. The deceased has been identified as
26-year-old Moti ur Rehman.
Kishanganj District Magistrate Sandip Kumar Pudkalkatti
said fire tenders were rushed in from neighbouring Islampur in
West Bengal to fight the blaze.
He said 24 oil tankers were detached from the rear of
the train and taken to Mangurjan station, while three others
from the engine were taken to Aluabari.
While the exact reason of the derailment was yet to be
known, Railway sources estimate the damage to be to the tune
of Rs 10 crore.
Official sources said fire tenders were also rushed in
from Purnia and Kishanganj and engaged to control the fire.
Train services between New Jalpaiguri to Aluabari
stations on the section have been affected, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read