Bihar: 20 dead, 4 injured as train hits jeep
Madhubani: At least 20 persons,
including 19 women, were killed and four others injured when
the jeep in which they were travelling was hit by the Garib
Rath Express at an unmanned railway crossing in Bihar`s
Madhubani district on Sunday, police said.
The multi-utility vehicle (MUV), carrying family
members and supporters of a victorious `mukhiya` candidate,
Veena Devi, was hit by Nizamuddin-Jainagar Garib Rath Express
near Bharia-Bishanpur village as it was trying to cross over
the tracks, DSP Karm Lal said.
The injured were taken to a nearby hospital and their
condition was stated to be critical.
Four of the injured, including driver Saroj, were
admitted to Darbhanga Medical College and Hospital and the
condition of Saroj was stated to be critical, the DSP said.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar expressed grief over the
incident and announced a compensation of Rs one lakh each to
the families of the deceased from the State Disaster Relief
Fund besides Rs 50,000 each from the Chief Minister`s Relief
Fund, an official release said.
Kumar also directed the district administration to ensure
adequate medical treatment of the injured person, the release
The Chief Minister asked the District Magistrate and
the district police chief of Madhubani to rush to the spot to
supervise relief works and directed the Chief Secretary Anup
Mukherji to monitor the same.
Kumar also spoke to railway officials and requested them
to provide compensation to the affected families and asked
them to construct a gate at the Rajnagar crossing to prevent
such incidents in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex