Bihar: 5 officials injured in Ramnavami clash
Gaya: Five senior officials, including a
senior superintendent of police and city superintendent of
police were injured in a clash between Ram Navmi
processionists and people of a particular community in Gaya
town, official sources said on Monday.
The clash broke out late last night when people of the
procession, which was to pass from near a masjid, threw stones
following objections from those inside the mosque.
The attack was returned and the agitated processionists
torched three shops in the locality and damaged a portion of
the masjid, the sources said.
Senior superintendent of police Vinay Kumar, city
SP Babu Ram, city DSP Rakesh Kumar and subdivional officer
P Kumar who had rushed to spot to control the situation were
injured in the stone pelting.
The situation was controlled by the police and
Divisional commissioner Magadh range, Vivek Kumar Singh and
DIG NK Khan camped at the spot in the night.
Police said the situation today was tense but under
control with patrolling intensified in communally sensitive
areas of the town.
Anti-riot vehicles, 400 Rapid Action Force personnel
from Nawada, Bajra vehicles, 355 Bihar Military Police
personnel and 3 companies of counter insurgency anti-terrorist
force, besides district armed police personnel were engaged to
maintain law and order and restore normalcy, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days