Bihar: 50% reservation for women in coop societies
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced reservation of 50 percent seats for women in cooperative societies and 35 per cent reservation for them in the police on the 101st anniversary of the state Friday.
Stating that the anniversary was centred around the theme of women`s empowerment, Kumar said 50 per cent seats in management committees and executive bodies of state cooperative societies would be earmarked for women.
Inaugurating a three-day programme, he said an amendment bill for this would be brought in the state legislature within the budget session.
Bihar has 8,463 primary agricultural credit societies and 521 trade bodies.
Women would have half the share in the state-run Cooperative Milk Federation and more than 22 cooperative societies.
Kumar also announced reservation of 35 per cent seats for women in the recruitment of 45,000 police personnel in the state.
The additional recruitment of police was aimed at lifting the police-public ratio to 125 per lakh in the state.
The state government by reserving 50 per cent seats for women in Panchayati Raj institutions and urban local bodies has set an example to the nation, Kumar said.
During the anniversary celebrations, a rich display of dance, music and cultural programmes would be held. Bollywood`s leading lights like Alka Yagnik, Sonu Nigam and Daler Mehndi will perform on the occasion.
Bihar was carved out of Bengal Presidency in 1912 and was made a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical