Bihar: 50% reservation for women in coop societies
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced reservation of 50 percent seats for women in cooperative societies and 35 per cent reservation for them in the police on the 101st anniversary of the state Friday.
Stating that the anniversary was centred around the theme of women`s empowerment, Kumar said 50 per cent seats in management committees and executive bodies of state cooperative societies would be earmarked for women.
Inaugurating a three-day programme, he said an amendment bill for this would be brought in the state legislature within the budget session.
Bihar has 8,463 primary agricultural credit societies and 521 trade bodies.
Women would have half the share in the state-run Cooperative Milk Federation and more than 22 cooperative societies.
Kumar also announced reservation of 35 per cent seats for women in the recruitment of 45,000 police personnel in the state.
The additional recruitment of police was aimed at lifting the police-public ratio to 125 per lakh in the state.
The state government by reserving 50 per cent seats for women in Panchayati Raj institutions and urban local bodies has set an example to the nation, Kumar said.
During the anniversary celebrations, a rich display of dance, music and cultural programmes would be held. Bollywood`s leading lights like Alka Yagnik, Sonu Nigam and Daler Mehndi will perform on the occasion.
Bihar was carved out of Bengal Presidency in 1912 and was made a separate state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan