Bihar: 7 prisoners booked for lynching doctor
Patna: A case was lodged Monday against seven inmates of Bihar`s Gopalganj district jail for beating to death a doctor inside the prison premises, police said. The state government has ordered a probe into Sunday`s ghastly incident.
Buddhadev Singh was beaten to death Sunday afternoon by the inmates in Gopalganj, some 125 km from Patna, when he went inside a ward to conduct a medical check-up of a prisoner serving sentence in a kidnapping case.
According to a police officer, the prisoners wanted the doctor to issue them a certificate that they were ill, and needed to be shifted out of the jail. But Singh refused, after which he was thrashed.
Bihar Home Secretary Amir Subhani, who visited the jail Monday, told IANS on phone that a first information report (FIR) has been registered against the seven inmates.
"The government has decided to conduct a speedy trial against the seven accused," Subhani said.
He added that action will also be taken against the jail officials for their failure to protect the doctor.
"The state government has ordered a probe into the incident in view of the serious nature of the case," he said.
Gopalganj Jail Superintendent Ashok Kumar said that the group of inmates attacked the doctor soon after he went in to examine a prisoner.
"They beat him half dead and seriously injured him," Kumar said.
Gopalganj Superintendent of Police K.S. Anupam said that the incident was probably the first of its kind in Bihar.
The incident has shocked the state`s doctors, who have threatened to launch an agitation and have demanded better protection from the state government.
"We have called a meeting on Monday evening to decide on the issue," said Ajay Kumar, general secretary of the Bihar State Health Services Association (BSHSA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly