Bihar asks Centre for helicopter to fight Maoists
Patna: Bihar government has requested the Centre for a helicopter to carry out operations against Maoists, Water Resources minister Vijay Kumar Chaudhary told the Assembly on Monday.
The state government has written to the Centre recently and would do so in the future, requesting it to provide a helicopter to deal with the Maoist insurgency, Chaudhary said while replying to a short notice question by BJP MLA Avanish Kumar Singh.
Regretting the delay in requisitioning a helicopter, he said the state government had written to the Centre in 2011 seeking guidelines for availability of one to Bihar.
Since the Centre had not framed guidelines and conditions required for hiring a helicopter for anti-Maoist operations, the state government has sought one from neighbouring Jharkhand, he said.
Although Jharkhand has been cooperating with Bihar as far as availability of helicopter was concerned, it was imperative that the state government has one at its disposal for anti-Maoist campaigns, the minister said.
Apart from Bihar, the Maoist-affected states of Odisha, Chhatisgarh, Jharkhand and Andhra Pradesh have helicopters for such use, the minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy