Bihar asks FCI to ensure storage of foodgrains
Patna: Bihar government on Thursday said foodgrains from other states would not be allowed to be kept in FCI godowns unless the FCI ensured storage of foodgrains produced in the state.
"We have given directions to all the district magistrates in this connection", state Food and Consumer protection Minister Shyam Rajak said.
Expressing concern over the "policy of neglect" of the Centre by sending 52 rakes of wheat and rice from Punjab and Chhatisgarh to FCI godowns instead of lifting wheat and rice from farmers in the state, Rajak said "the FCI was well aware of the fact that the Corporation would have to give priority to storage of foodgrains produced by farmers in Bihar... But it overlooked it."
Of the rakes, 38 rakes of wheat and 14 rakes of rice have reached FCI godowns in Bihar, he said.
"We will officially register a protest with the Centre about this matter", he said.
The FCI, he said, has about 6.20 lakh mt of rice while state Food Corporation (SFC) has 8.50 lakh mt in its stores in Bihar.
Similarly, about seven lakh mt of wheat has been procured in Bihar but the FCI has taken hardly 1.36 lakh mt of it though procurement of foodgrains from farmers in Bihar was still in progress, he said.
Rajak said the state government made the procurement following the assurance from the FCI that it would provide storage facilities.
"In the given circumstances, taking foodgrains from other states neglecting the farmers of Bihar is unjustified", he said.
He alleged that by taking foodgrains from other states, the FCI was destroying foodgrain produce of the state in the rainy season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron