Bihar Assembly passes Sports Bill
Patna: Bihar Sports Bill was passed on Monday by the state assembly despite resistance by the Leader of the Opposition Abdul Bari Siddique, who tore a copy of the bill accusing the ruling NDA combine of conspiring to take over the state cricket administration.
Siddique, one of the vice-presidents of Badminton Association of India, tore the copy of `Bihar Sports Association Registration, Affiliation and Regulation Bill, 2013` after Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Sukhda Pandey tabled it during the post-lunch session.
Charging the state government of hatching conspiracy against various sports associations in Bihar, particularly in the field of cricket, the RJD leader said he was aware of the "nefarious designs" of the state government to take them over as an affidavit has been filed in a court by the sports and youth affairs secretary in this regard.
Siddique said he has spoken to BJP leader Arun Jaitley about the Bihar government`s "draconian" design to run sports associations in the state in an arbitrary manner and claimed that latter too had disapproved the contours of the proposed bill.
He said it is not the job of the state government to run sports associations and it should stick to only promoting sports.
The state would be pushed back by at least 50 years if Bihar State Sports Council regulates sports associations as envisaged under the bill, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan