Bihar begins process to seize liquor mafia property
Patna: Bihar Police have written to the state government to seize the properties of liquor mafia dons following the deaths of more than 50 people, mostly the poor, from illicit liquor in various regions across the state.
The process, which has Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s approval, has been launched to confiscate the properties of over half a dozen mafia dons, including three in Muzaffarpur district.
"The police headquarters has sent its proposal to the state government," Bihar Police chief Abhyanand said.
He said it was a part of the strategy to hit those involved in illegal liquor to prevent hooch tragedies.
Among those being targeted are three Muzaffarpur-based men, including Vishwanath Shah, Gaya`s Mantu Yadav and Bhojpur`s Sanjay Singh.
"Police have already prepared a list of liquor mafia dons whose property would be confiscated in Bhojpur, Gaya, Munger and Madhubani districts and the process has started for it," another police official said.
An official in the Chief Minister`s Office said Nitish Kumar had given the go ahead. Earlier this week, Nitish Kumar said strong legal action would be taken against those involved in the illegal liquor business, including confiscation of their properties under the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act and the Excise Act.
Excise department officials estimate that the illegal liquor business costs the state exchequer about Rs 200 crore a year.
This is the first time that a move to confiscate the properties of liquor mafia has been initiated.
At least 35 poor people, mostly Dalits, died in Bhojpur after consuming spurious liquor. There were also 12 deaths in Gaya, and two each in Aurangabad and Patna in the last 15 days.
Opposition parties like the Rashtriya Janata Dal, the Lok Janshakti Party, Left parties and the Congress have raised the issue of deaths in hooch tragedies in the state and demanded action against the guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!