Bihar begins process to seize liquor mafia property
Patna: Bihar Police have written to the state government to seize the properties of liquor mafia dons following the deaths of more than 50 people, mostly the poor, from illicit liquor in various regions across the state.
The process, which has Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s approval, has been launched to confiscate the properties of over half a dozen mafia dons, including three in Muzaffarpur district.
"The police headquarters has sent its proposal to the state government," Bihar Police chief Abhyanand said.
He said it was a part of the strategy to hit those involved in illegal liquor to prevent hooch tragedies.
Among those being targeted are three Muzaffarpur-based men, including Vishwanath Shah, Gaya`s Mantu Yadav and Bhojpur`s Sanjay Singh.
"Police have already prepared a list of liquor mafia dons whose property would be confiscated in Bhojpur, Gaya, Munger and Madhubani districts and the process has started for it," another police official said.
An official in the Chief Minister`s Office said Nitish Kumar had given the go ahead. Earlier this week, Nitish Kumar said strong legal action would be taken against those involved in the illegal liquor business, including confiscation of their properties under the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act and the Excise Act.
Excise department officials estimate that the illegal liquor business costs the state exchequer about Rs 200 crore a year.
This is the first time that a move to confiscate the properties of liquor mafia has been initiated.
At least 35 poor people, mostly Dalits, died in Bhojpur after consuming spurious liquor. There were also 12 deaths in Gaya, and two each in Aurangabad and Patna in the last 15 days.
Opposition parties like the Rashtriya Janata Dal, the Lok Janshakti Party, Left parties and the Congress have raised the issue of deaths in hooch tragedies in the state and demanded action against the guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings