Bihar: BJP MP lashes out at Nitish government
Purnia: In an embarrassment to Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, an MP of ally BJP on Sunday questioned the NDA government`s claim of good governance and development in Bihar and alleged that it has lost touch with ground reality as the leadership was "surrounded by sycophants".
"Corruption has become a buzz word in Bihar and the people claim to have not seen prevalence of this magnitude of corruption in the system earlier.... The tall claims of good governance and development are nowhere to be seen across the state," BJP MP Uday Singh said at a public meeting here.
Referring to Kumar, he said the chief minister was living in a `fool`s paradise` if he believed that he was as popular a leader today as he was during the first stint of the NDA government.
"It was a matter of time that the accumulated anger of the people would burst and sweep away the ruling coalition," Singh said in an apparent reference to the protests that Kumar faced during his `Adhikar Yatra` in the districts recently.
Singh, who represents Purnia parliamentary seat, called his public meeting `Vedana (Anguish) rally` which coincided with Kumar`s public meeting in neighbouring Kishanganj district as part of his `Adhikar Yatra`.
He alleged that both Kumar and his deputy Sushil Kumar Modi were surrounded by sycophants and have lost touch with the ground reality.
The "overbearing and domineering" bureaucracy was compounding the unpopularity of the NDA government in the state by creating a wide gulf between the people and their political representatives.
In his nearly hour-long speech, the BJP MP asked Kumar to find out whether important promises like granting of land to landless mahadalits had been fulfilled or whether people were getting certificates issued by the officials under Right to Service Act without demanding or taking bribes.
Singh said he had tried to bring the maladies of the
government to the attention of top leaders but when he was denied the opportunity he was forced to organize the `Vedana rally`.
He said it was time that the people and their representatives at the panchayats identify their problems in the form of a white paper and submit it to the MLAs and MPs to take up their demands with the authorities and top leadership of their parties.
The BJP MP criticised Kumar for setting up liqour shops in the villages to earn revenue for the purpose of distributing bicycles to school students. "Is earning revenue by playing with life and health of villagers appropriate at all?"
Singh described a ruling JD(U) woman MLA and her associate in Purnia district as `Bunti and Babli` and said they were examples of corruption in the state as they were openly demanding and taking bribes in award of tenders for construction of road, bridge, building and MNREGA by claiming themselves to be close associate of the chief minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly