Bihar: Boat capsize toll mounts to six
Araria: With the recovery of two more
bodies, the death toll in the boat capsize in Bihar`s Araria
district today rose to six, as search continued for the
remaining five missing persons.
Sub-divisional Officer Vinod Kumar said two bodies
were fished out from the Panar river this morning, taking the
toll to six, including a woman and two children.
Four persons got drowned and many went missing when
the boat sank near Rampur ghat under Bairgachi police picket
Divers were still looking for the missing persons, who
were feared to have been drowned, Kumar said.
Deputy Chief Minister S K Modi in Patna expressed
grief at the tragedy and announced an ex-gratia payment of
Rs one lakh to bereaved families of each of the deceased.
He said the state government would soon announce a
policy for regulating boats ferrying passengers to try to stop
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident