Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 28
Supaul: With the recovery of three more bodies, the death toll in the boat mishap in the swollen Kosi river in Supaul district has climbed to 28, a senior official said on Thursday.
The three bodies were recovered late last night by local divers, while search was on to locate 22 missing persons, Deputy Development Commissioner, Jung Bahadur told a news agency.
In addition to the local divers, those from the National Disaster Response Force have also been pressed into service to trace the missing persons, he said.
The cremation expenses of the victims would be borne by the state government under the Kabir Cremation Scheme.
The country boat, ferrying 50 passengers for a `Shradh` ceremony, was caught in a whirlpool near Hari panchayat area and sank yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband