Bihar: Boat capsizes, over a dozen missing
Motihari: A minor girl drowned and over 12 people went missing on Thursday when an overcrowded boat, ferrying about 35 passengers, capsized in Gandak river near Semra ghat in Bihar`s East Champaran district.
Sub-divisional officer Chakia, Ramandeep Chaudhary said that a five-month-old girl, identified as Preeti, was drowned, while over a dozen other people were missing, he said.
Divers have been pressed into service to find out the missing people, he said, adding that the remaining passengers were believed to have swam to safety.
Meanwhile, district magistrate Abhijit Sinha, along with other civil and police officials, are camping at the spot to supervise rescue operations, the SDO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA