Bihar boat tragedy: Seven bodies recovered, 3 still missing
Bhagalpur (Bihar): Seven bodies were fished out while three others are missing in the boat capsize in Ganga at Bhagalpur on Saturday, as Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh for next of kins of victims.
Sub-Divisional Officer, Kahalgaon, Sanjay Kumar said that after day-long efforts, six more bodies have been fished out from the river, mostly of women and girls. Body of a woman was recovered in the morning hours, he added.
Search is on for the three missing, he said.
Tragedy struck when the country boat capsized in Ganga in Bhagalpur district this morning, with at least 25 people, including women and children on board.
They were mostly labourers enroute Rani Diara.
Expressing grief over the incident Kumar today announced that the Disaster Management department will give Rs 1.5 lakh, and another Rs 50,000 from CM`s relief fund, totalling Rs 2 lakh, for each of the next of kin of victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit
- Avg 49 days of employment generated in 2015-16 under MGNREGA: Govt
- Turkey`s post-coup purge: almost 16,000 detained, 50,000 fired
- Death sentences upheld for six Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh militants in 2005 bombings
- Oh Air India! 11,000 flights rescheduled, 16,000 flights delayed till June 2016