Bihar boat tragedy: Seven bodies recovered, 3 still missing
Bhagalpur (Bihar): Seven bodies were fished out while three others are missing in the boat capsize in Ganga at Bhagalpur on Saturday, as Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh for next of kins of victims.
Sub-Divisional Officer, Kahalgaon, Sanjay Kumar said that after day-long efforts, six more bodies have been fished out from the river, mostly of women and girls. Body of a woman was recovered in the morning hours, he added.
Search is on for the three missing, he said.
Tragedy struck when the country boat capsized in Ganga in Bhagalpur district this morning, with at least 25 people, including women and children on board.
They were mostly labourers enroute Rani Diara.
Expressing grief over the incident Kumar today announced that the Disaster Management department will give Rs 1.5 lakh, and another Rs 50,000 from CM`s relief fund, totalling Rs 2 lakh, for each of the next of kin of victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition attacks government over "increasing" attacks on dalits, muslims
- China detains Japanese for 'spying'
- Directors don't see me in different roles: Irrfan Khan
- Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh, booked for remark against Mayawati, arrested in Bihar
- Pope Francis pays silent visit to Auschwitz