Bihar boat tragedy toll rises to 38
Buxar: The death toll in the boat
tragedy here mounted to 38 with 16 more bodies being fished
out from Ganga today while the search has been called off.
Of the 38 victims, 25 were women and children, Director
General of Police Neelmani said, adding that a team of the
National Disaster Response Force and local divers fished out
16 more bodies from the river till this afternoon.
The search was called off as no one else was missing, he
The bodies have been handed over to relatives after
autopsy on the spot, official sources said.
An estimated 42 people were sailing in the boat from
adjoining Ballia in UP to Dalupur in Bihar when it was caught
in a whirlpool and sank in Brahmapur police station area here
Official sources said the dependants of each of the
deceased would be given a compensation of Rs 1.5 lakh in
keeping with the rules framed by the state government.
The district authorities have given Rs 10,000 to each of
the bereaved families for cremation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indus era at least 8,000 years old, not 5,500; culminated due to climate change!
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Sunny Leone, Taapsee Pannu – Stars who donned the purple colour in elan!
- 'Get fit in style'! Shraddha Kapoor stuns in casual too!
- Three in three! Shane Watson has never lost T20 final in his first season with team
- It's a wrap for Vidya Balan-Arjun Rampal's 'Kahaani 2'!