Bihar clerics not to offer funeral prayers for drunkards
Patna: Muslim clerics in a Bihar district have decided not to lead or offer namaz-e-janaza (funeral prayers) of drunkards.
This decision was taken at a meeting Saturday evening by a group of Imams of Bihar`s Nalanda district. They earlier said they won`t conduct marriage ceremony of those who give or take dowry.
"It is a historic decision not to offer funeral prayers of the drunkards who die. We hope that it will send a strong massage among Muslims not to consume liquor," Hafiz Maulana Mahtab Alam Makhdumi said.
Makhdumi, who presided over the meeting of the Anjuman Faizane Mustafa Committee at Biharsharief, district headquarters of Nalanda, about 100 km from here, said that liquor is prohibited in Islam.
He said it was decided to first socially boycott those drinking liquor in public places.
"We have urged people that drunkards should be socially boycotted but even after that if they fail to end their habit, we will not lead their funeral prayers," he said.
Makhdumi said over telephone that after much deliberations they took a final decision to end increasing trend of drinking among Muslims.
"It is a tough decision as there is no other method left to warn the drunkards," he said.
The Muslim community has welcomed this move.
"It will help discourage consuming of liquors and sereve as a warning for drunkards," said Nayiar Fatmi, a Muslim activist in Patna.
Makhdumi said that after this decision is successfully implemented in Nalanda, they would request Imams of other districts across Bihar to start similar campaigns.
Last week, alarmed over the trend of dowry among Muslims, clerics in Nalanda said they won`t conduct marriage ceremony of those who give or take dowry.
"We have decided not to conduct nikah (marriage) for those who take and give dowry in the district," Qazi Maulana Mansur Alam, who heads Muslim organisation Imarat-e-Sharia of Biharsharief in Nalanda, had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!