Bihar CM in favour of martial arts training for girls
Patna: Concerned over surge in cases of atrocities against women in the country, including the recent brutal gang-rape of paramedic student in Delhi, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday said that martial arts for self-defence would be taught to girls in all the schools in Bihar.
"Martial art training will be provided to girls in all the schools and colleges to help them take on anti-socials," the CM said amid applause from the Dalai Lama and delegates from 17 countries attending a three-day-long International Buddhist Sangha conference here.
Besides ahimsa and peace, Buddhism contributed significantly by developing martial art for self-defence of monks during course of their journey world over for propagating teachings of Lord Buddha, he added.
Kumar said that after the launch of his ambitious cycle-scheme for school girls in 2007, there were apprehensions about the vulnerability of these girls while travelling alone. Following which, the state government decided to provide them training in self defence through martial arts.
The CM noted that more than one lakh school girls have already acquired martial arts training till now, and it will be further extended to all schools in the state, marking an important step toward empowerment of women.
Buddhism which originated from Bihar took great initiatives for empowerment of women, Kumar said, adding that Lord Buddha had permitted women becoming sanyasin at sangha at Vaishali, the world`s first republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees