Bihar CM in favour of martial arts training for girls
Patna: Concerned over surge in cases of atrocities against women in the country, including the recent brutal gang-rape of paramedic student in Delhi, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday said that martial arts for self-defence would be taught to girls in all the schools in Bihar.
"Martial art training will be provided to girls in all the schools and colleges to help them take on anti-socials," the CM said amid applause from the Dalai Lama and delegates from 17 countries attending a three-day-long International Buddhist Sangha conference here.
Besides ahimsa and peace, Buddhism contributed significantly by developing martial art for self-defence of monks during course of their journey world over for propagating teachings of Lord Buddha, he added.
Kumar said that after the launch of his ambitious cycle-scheme for school girls in 2007, there were apprehensions about the vulnerability of these girls while travelling alone. Following which, the state government decided to provide them training in self defence through martial arts.
The CM noted that more than one lakh school girls have already acquired martial arts training till now, and it will be further extended to all schools in the state, marking an important step toward empowerment of women.
Buddhism which originated from Bihar took great initiatives for empowerment of women, Kumar said, adding that Lord Buddha had permitted women becoming sanyasin at sangha at Vaishali, the world`s first republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city