Bihar CM inaugurates 184 bridges, lays foundation of 41
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi on Sunday inaugurated 184 bridges, built by Bihar Rajya Pul Nirman Nigam (BRPNN) at a cost of Rs 549 crore, and laid down the foundation of 41 others across the state with a projected cost of about Rs 145 crore.
"The bridges will bring people and cultures closer and increase the speed of development. These bridges will help fulfil former Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s dream that people living in remote parts of Bihar are able to reach Patna in six hours," Manjhi said after the inauguration and laying down of foundation of bridges through remote control at the 39th foundation day function of BRPNN.
The Chief Minister said Bihar had completely changed over the last eight-and-a-half years. The plan size of the state had grown from Rs 5,000 crore in 2005 to Rs 41,000 crore in the current financial year. This had been possible with the development of a network of roads and bridges.
"This network of roads and bridges has led to the economic growth and prosperity. BRPNN has played a good role in the development of the state. Once it was on the brink of closure, but today it shares not only 15 per cent of its profit every year, it has also contributed Rs 75 crore to the Chief Minister Relief Fund over the last few years," Manjhi said.
Lauding the efforts and efficiency of BRPNN, which has built over 1300 bridges, whose turnover has climbed from Rs 42.62 crore in 2005-06 to Rs 1,400 crore now, the Chief Minister said other state-run corporations should emulate it for achieving a turnaround.
BRPNN Chairman Sridhar C presented him a cheque of Rs 52.5 lakh as a share of profit for 2013-14 on the occasion.
State Road Construction Minister Rajeev Ranjan alias Lallan Singh presided over the function and called for adoption of modern technology and new inventions to reduce project costs and period of construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus