Bihar CM Nitish stresses on development of Muslims
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
on Thursday stressed on uplift of minorities for developing the
country and sought ammendments to the Multi Sectoral
Development Programme (MSDP) to kick start it in the state.
MSDP had been launched in 7 minority-dominated districts
in Bihar to ensure development of SC, ST, women and
minorities, he said and demanded that the Centre grant
immediate sanction to proposals sent to it.
"I have had discussions with the Planning Commission and
the Centre and they have taken my suggestions seriously and
assured early action," he said addressing a seminar
`Challenges before minorities` organised by private TV channel
ETV (Urdu) here.
Stating that educational backwardness was one of the
major challenges before Muslims, he said "It will be better
if they (Muslims) concentrate on the education of their
children ... Then they will be able to solve their problems on
Kumar claimed that the number of children not going to
school had declined from 12.5 per cent to 4 per cent in the
state since he took over. "A survey revealed recently that out
of the 4 per cent children who are away from schools most of
them come from Mahadalit and Muslim families."
"The government has opened Uthan (uplift) centres for
children of Mahadalits and Talimi Markaj for those from Muslim
community for their education and guidance ... Arrangements
have been made for stay and food for these children free of
cost," Kumar said adding attention was also given to enrolment
of the children in formal schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- South Sudan ceasefire monitors warn of violence
- Chennai Infosys employee murder: High-resolution image of suspect released
- A little butter a day may not harm your heart
- WATCH: What a grab! Eng vs SL - Danushka Gunathilaka pulls off unreal catch
- Indian money in Swiss banks drops by one-third to Rs 8,392 crore