Bihar CM orders probe into torture incident
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday ordered an inquiry into allegations of thrashing of a staff of a liquor trader at the residence of Sheikhpura district`s police chief and demand for money, an official said.
The chief minister has also transferred Superintendent of Police Babu Ram and all the police officials of the Barbigha police station Monday following the incident.
"Nitish Kumar has ordered an inquiry into alleged thrashing of Mukesh Kumar alias Chhoti at the SP`s residence that caused multiple injuries to him," an official here said. The chief minister met Bihar police chief Abhyanand and state Home Secretary Amir Subhani on the issue.
The additional director general of police (headquarters) and inspector general of prisons will inquire into the issue and submit the report Tuesday, an official said.
Mukesh Kumar`s uncle Dheeraj Kumar lodged a complaint alleging that he was thrashed and demand for money was made by the police.
Mukesh, in his early 30s, was arrested Jan 24 in connection with recovery of illicit liquor from a house adjacent to a liquor outlet in which he worked and was thrashed at the SP`s residence, Dheeraj Kumar alleged in the complaint.
He was admitted to a local hospital with injuries but when his condition deteriorated he was taken to the Patna Medical College and Hospital under critical condition Sunday.
Earlier, Abhyanand asked the SP to submit a report in this case. The Sheikhpura SP has rejected allegations levelled against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre