Bihar court acquits 11 Nepal Maoist leaders
Patna: Eleven Maoist leaders were on Friday acquitted by a Bihar court which took into consideration the decision to withdraw cases against them to help bolster
bilateral ties between India and Nepal.
Additional District Judge(IX) Bashishtha Narain Singh ordered the acquittal of the Nepal Maoist leaders after holding a hearing on the state government`s petition to
withdraw the cases against them.
Bihar government had on February 1 moved the court seeking to withdraw cases lodged against them apparently following a request from the Union Home Ministry.
Public prosecutor Jai Prakash Singh said he had filed a petition in the court under section 321 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CRPC).
Under the section, the public prosecutor or assistant public prosecutor in-charge of a case may with the consent of the court at any time before the judgement is pronounced withdraw from prosecution of any person either generally or in respect of anyone or more of the offences for which he is tried.
The Centre, responding to a request from the Nepal government, had formally started the process of withdrawing criminal cases against the 11 Maoist leaders pending in a district court here since 2004.
The Nepal Maoist leaders had been arrested from different hotels of Patna in May 2004 for their alleged involvement in anti-India activities and conspiracy against the erstwhile regime in Nepal and were first issued non-bailable warrants in
The Union Home Ministry had recently dispatched a letter to Bihar government requesting it to go ahead with the withdrawal of the cases taking into consideration the changed political scenario in Nepal and friendly relations between the
two countries, official sources said.
The Nepal Maoist leaders are Chitra Bahadur Shrestha, Lokendra Bista, Kul Bahadur KC, Kumar Dahal, Hit Bahadur Tamang, Anil Sharma, Dilip Maharjan, Ranju Thapa, Suman Tamang, Shyam Kishor Prasad Yadav and Min Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH