Bihar court summons Sonia Gandhi, Rita Bahuguna
Muzaffarpur: A Bihar court on Saturday summoned Congress President Sonia Gandhi to appear before it on July 29 in connection with a complaint alleging that her depiction in
posters in Uttar Pradesh in 2007 as Goddess Durga was an "insult to Hindu religion".
Additional District and Sessions Judge (Muzaffarpur) AK Srivastava ordered issue of the summon after hearing the complainant and senior advocate Sudhir Kumar Ojha.
The judge asked Gandhi to appear either in person or through her lawyer in the court to explain her position.
He also issued a separate summon to Uttar Pradesh Congess Committee (UPCC) president Rita Bahuguna and the party`s Muradabad district president to appear before the
court the same day in the case.
Ojha in his petition alleged that a photograph had appeared in the Muzaffarpur edition of a Hindi daily on June 21, 2007 of the Congress president allegedly depicted as Goddess Durga which was "an insult to Hindi religion and the Hindu community."
The picture was also displayed in the office of he Muradabad Congress.
Ojha alleged that Gandhi and others had connived to have the picture displayed "to insult the religion of the Hindu community".
Earlier, Judicial Magistrate, Muzaffarpur, Md Rustam had on August 28, 2009 dismissed the complaint of the petitioner under section 203 of CrPC (no sufficient ground for proceeding).
The petitioner had then filed a revision petition in the court of Srivastava challenging the previous order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!