Bihar court summons Sonia Gandhi, Rita Bahuguna
Muzaffarpur: A Bihar court on Saturday summoned Congress President Sonia Gandhi to appear before it on July 29 in connection with a complaint alleging that her depiction in
posters in Uttar Pradesh in 2007 as Goddess Durga was an "insult to Hindu religion".
Additional District and Sessions Judge (Muzaffarpur) AK Srivastava ordered issue of the summon after hearing the complainant and senior advocate Sudhir Kumar Ojha.
The judge asked Gandhi to appear either in person or through her lawyer in the court to explain her position.
He also issued a separate summon to Uttar Pradesh Congess Committee (UPCC) president Rita Bahuguna and the party`s Muradabad district president to appear before the
court the same day in the case.
Ojha in his petition alleged that a photograph had appeared in the Muzaffarpur edition of a Hindi daily on June 21, 2007 of the Congress president allegedly depicted as Goddess Durga which was "an insult to Hindi religion and the Hindu community."
The picture was also displayed in the office of he Muradabad Congress.
Ojha alleged that Gandhi and others had connived to have the picture displayed "to insult the religion of the Hindu community".
Earlier, Judicial Magistrate, Muzaffarpur, Md Rustam had on August 28, 2009 dismissed the complaint of the petitioner under section 203 of CrPC (no sufficient ground for proceeding).
The petitioner had then filed a revision petition in the court of Srivastava challenging the previous order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news