Bihar: CRPF personnel killed in encounter with Maoists
Gaya: A CPRF personnel was killed and five others were wounded in an armed encounter with Maoists near Panchrukhia forests on the borders of Gaya and Aurangabad districts, CRPF DIG Umesh Kumar said on Sunday.
The encounter took place late last evening and CoBRA personnel DN Chaudhary died in hospital in Gaya, he said.
CoBRA is an acronym for Commando Battalion for Resolute Action - is a specialised unit of the CRPF created to counter the Naxalite problem.
The encounter took place when security forces from the CoBRA unit, special task force (STF) and the police of Gaya and Aurangabad districts yesterday carried out a joint combing operation against the heavily armed ultras.
The Maoists had opened fire on the advancing security men, who retaliated, Kumar said adding six security personnel - all belonging to the CRPF`s CoBRA unit - were injured.
They were rushed to hospital where Chaudhary died during treatment, he said.
The security forces launched fresh assault on the Maoists in the area today, the CRPF DIG said adding there was no report of any casualty or injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened