Bihar: CRPF personnel killed in encounter with Maoists
Gaya: A CPRF personnel was killed and five others were wounded in an armed encounter with Maoists near Panchrukhia forests on the borders of Gaya and Aurangabad districts, CRPF DIG Umesh Kumar said on Sunday.
The encounter took place late last evening and CoBRA personnel DN Chaudhary died in hospital in Gaya, he said.
CoBRA is an acronym for Commando Battalion for Resolute Action - is a specialised unit of the CRPF created to counter the Naxalite problem.
The encounter took place when security forces from the CoBRA unit, special task force (STF) and the police of Gaya and Aurangabad districts yesterday carried out a joint combing operation against the heavily armed ultras.
The Maoists had opened fire on the advancing security men, who retaliated, Kumar said adding six security personnel - all belonging to the CRPF`s CoBRA unit - were injured.
They were rushed to hospital where Chaudhary died during treatment, he said.
The security forces launched fresh assault on the Maoists in the area today, the CRPF DIG said adding there was no report of any casualty or injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city