Bihar DGP urged to expedite witchcraft cases
Patna: The Bihar Human Rights Commission
(BHRC) has taken serious note of women being killed or subjected to harassment and torture on false charges of practising witchcraft and asked the Director General of Police
to expedite such pending cases soon.
BHRC member justice (retired) Rajendra Prasad in his order observed that such cases are "worst types of violation
of human rights of women".
The DGP should instruct the SPs of all the districts to
expedite investigation/trial of pending cases relating to
offences under Prevention of Witch (Daain) Hunting Act 1999
and further submit district-wise list of such cases pending in
districts to enable the Commission to decide further course of
action in the interest of protection of the worst type of
violation of human rights of women within three months, he
The Commission had taken cognisance of a report submitted by an NGO (Bihar Women`s Network) and decided to issue the instructions.
He further said there was a necessity of spreading human rights literacy among various sections of society and promote
awareness of the safeguards available for the protection of these rights through publications and encourage the efforts of NGOs and institutions working in the field of human rights.
The Bihar Women`s Network with its base in Bihar,
Jharkhand, Odisha , Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh pointed out
that there 177 pending cases under the Prevention of Witch
Hunting Act 1999 in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly