Bihar DGP urged to expedite witchcraft cases
Patna: The Bihar Human Rights Commission
(BHRC) has taken serious note of women being killed or subjected to harassment and torture on false charges of practising witchcraft and asked the Director General of Police
to expedite such pending cases soon.
BHRC member justice (retired) Rajendra Prasad in his order observed that such cases are "worst types of violation
of human rights of women".
The DGP should instruct the SPs of all the districts to
expedite investigation/trial of pending cases relating to
offences under Prevention of Witch (Daain) Hunting Act 1999
and further submit district-wise list of such cases pending in
districts to enable the Commission to decide further course of
action in the interest of protection of the worst type of
violation of human rights of women within three months, he
The Commission had taken cognisance of a report submitted by an NGO (Bihar Women`s Network) and decided to issue the instructions.
He further said there was a necessity of spreading human rights literacy among various sections of society and promote
awareness of the safeguards available for the protection of these rights through publications and encourage the efforts of NGOs and institutions working in the field of human rights.
The Bihar Women`s Network with its base in Bihar,
Jharkhand, Odisha , Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh pointed out
that there 177 pending cases under the Prevention of Witch
Hunting Act 1999 in Bihar.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list