Bihar DGP urged to expedite witchcraft cases
Patna: The Bihar Human Rights Commission
(BHRC) has taken serious note of women being killed or subjected to harassment and torture on false charges of practising witchcraft and asked the Director General of Police
to expedite such pending cases soon.
BHRC member justice (retired) Rajendra Prasad in his order observed that such cases are "worst types of violation
of human rights of women".
The DGP should instruct the SPs of all the districts to
expedite investigation/trial of pending cases relating to
offences under Prevention of Witch (Daain) Hunting Act 1999
and further submit district-wise list of such cases pending in
districts to enable the Commission to decide further course of
action in the interest of protection of the worst type of
violation of human rights of women within three months, he
The Commission had taken cognisance of a report submitted by an NGO (Bihar Women`s Network) and decided to issue the instructions.
He further said there was a necessity of spreading human rights literacy among various sections of society and promote
awareness of the safeguards available for the protection of these rights through publications and encourage the efforts of NGOs and institutions working in the field of human rights.
The Bihar Women`s Network with its base in Bihar,
Jharkhand, Odisha , Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh pointed out
that there 177 pending cases under the Prevention of Witch
Hunting Act 1999 in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?