`Bihar Divas` celebrated as Voting Awareness Day
Patna: Around 2.2 crore children studying in 72,000 government primary, middle and high schools of Bihar on Saturday affirmed that they have secured promises from their parents that they will cast vote in the Lok Sabha elections.
The massive election awareness campaign was taken up as part of the 102nd Bihar Diwas celebrations across the state.
It was conducted by the education department in partnership with the Election Commission.
Speaking about the campaign at a function organised at SK Memorial Hall here, education department`s Principal Secretary Amarjeet Sinha said, 2.2 crore children enrolled in state`s 72,000 schools submitted forms, filled and signed by their parents, that they would participate in voting.
Apart from it, several cultural programmes on social issues are also being organised at the schools to mark the 102nd Bihar foundation day.
The Bihar Diwas function was inaugurated by state Chief Secretary Ashok Kumar Sinha, in the presence of several top bureaucrats of the state.
No minister or politician could attend the programme as the model code of conduct for elections is in force.
Kuchipudi dance exponents and Padma Shri awardees Jayaram Rao and Vanashree performed on this occasion. It was followed by Vishwa Mohan Bhatt regaling the audience with his magical touch on Mohan Veena.
Bihar Diwas is celebrated on March 22 every year as Bihar was separated from Bengal Presidency on this day in 1902. The entire state will celebrate the occasion till March 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14