Bihar drought taking the shape of 1967 famine: Amanullah
Patna: The Bihar cabinet today expressed
concern over the monsoon failure and said the drought-like
situation prevailing in 28 out of 38 districts of the state
was fast taking the shape of 1967 famine that had struck the
"The cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Nitish
Kumar has taken serious view of the failure of the monsoon,"
Cabinet and Coordination department Principal Secretary Afzal
Amannullah told reporters tonight.
Divisional commissioners and district magistrates had
been directed to submit a detailed report about the situation
prevailing in their areas so that the government can launch
relief operations in a big way, he said.
Amannullah said it was decided that a special cabinet
meeting will be held on Saturday (August 14) morning to take
a decision on how to tackle the gravity which was fast
turning into famine like situation of 1967.
Tonight`s cabinet meeting held in utter darkness for more
than half-and-hour as power supply to the VVIP area was
snapped due to some fault in distribution system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets