Bihar drought taking the shape of 1967 famine: Amanullah
Patna: The Bihar cabinet today expressed
concern over the monsoon failure and said the drought-like
situation prevailing in 28 out of 38 districts of the state
was fast taking the shape of 1967 famine that had struck the
"The cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Nitish
Kumar has taken serious view of the failure of the monsoon,"
Cabinet and Coordination department Principal Secretary Afzal
Amannullah told reporters tonight.
Divisional commissioners and district magistrates had
been directed to submit a detailed report about the situation
prevailing in their areas so that the government can launch
relief operations in a big way, he said.
Amannullah said it was decided that a special cabinet
meeting will be held on Saturday (August 14) morning to take
a decision on how to tackle the gravity which was fast
turning into famine like situation of 1967.
Tonight`s cabinet meeting held in utter darkness for more
than half-and-hour as power supply to the VVIP area was
snapped due to some fault in distribution system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender