Bihar: Fake currency notes circulation on the rise
Patna: There has been a phenomenal rise in the circulation and smuggling of fake Indian currency notes (FICN) in Bihar and police and DRI sleuths have seized FICN of face value of 41.40 lakh during 2011 so far, police said.
The figure this year is far more than FICN of face value of Rs 18.69 lakh seized during the corresponding period last year.
"Circulation of FICN in the state has become a challenge for the state police, but the situation is not so alarming. We want to take more deterrent measures to curb it," a senior police official said.
Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) sleuths had on December 2 seized FICN of face value of Rs 20 lakh in denomination of Rs 1000 from a bus near Piprakaothi in East Champaran district on Indo-Nepal borders following a tip off, DRI sources said.
An alleged smuggler Ashraful Alam, a resident of Mohanpur village of Malda district of West Bengal was arrested in the incident. He was allegedly smuggling the notes to East Champaran from Bangladesh, the sources said.
In another incident on October 24 Patna police along with special Task Force (STF) recovered FICN of face value of Rs 57,000 and apprehended four persons allegedly involved in printing fake notes.
A bigger haul of Rs ten lakh fake notes, ten cell phones, 10 passports and six Nepali SIM cards were seized from a person and his accomplice from East Champaran district on October 13.
The person, Pramod Kushwaha who was arrested had confessed to the police that he had been dealing in fake notes with the help of a Pakistani national, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!